Charlotte PCEA Chapter History
The Charlotte History of the PCEA began in May 1956 when a group of 35 Estimators from various Construction disciplines in Charlotte came together under the leadership of R.F. ”Bob” Hawkins (our first President) and Chartered The Professional Construction Estimators Association of America, Inc. Although many of the Charter Members are now deceased, one remains active today as Chapter Member Emeritus.
During the early years of existence the members rallied together exchanging constructive ideas, promoting educational endeavors and high ethical standards while developing new friendships. Under the leadership of Charlotte's early presidents, the members set forth many goals to help the industry and aimed toward expansion of this voluntary Association. As a result of these activities and the efforts of our first Expansion Committee (consisting of Vern W. ”Bill” Helms, Harry L. “Bud” Rosenbaum and G. Keith Middleton), a second chapter was formed during 1958 in Greensboro, NC (now called the Triad Chapter). A third chapter came into being in 1963 in the Raleigh-Durham area (now called the Triangle Chapter). When the original Lynchburg Chapter was formed in 1975, we proceeded to become a National Association under the leadership of our First National President, Vern W. “Bill” Helms, and held our First “National” Convention in May 1975 at Myrtle Beach, SC. The PCEA now has Chapters in 5 South Atlantic States.
Our Chapter members continue to exhibit their support of education through a variety of programs ranging from, but not limited to, scholarships to local students, and a Construction related endowment at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte.
Professional Construction Estimators Association of America, Inc. (PCEA) was chartered in 1956 with 35 members from various construction disciplines in Charlotte, North Carolina. Some of the charter members remain active today.
During our early years, members rallied together to exchange ideas, promote educational endeavors and high ethical standards, while simultaneously developing new friendships. Under the leadership of Charlotte’s early presidents, the members set forth many goals to promote and support the industry while expanding the voluntary association. As a result of these efforts, a second chapter was formed during 1958 in Greensboro, North Carolina (now called the Triad Chapter). The Raleigh-Durham Chapter (now called the Triangle Chapter) followed behind in 1963. Subsequent chapters were formed in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.
Vern W. "Bill" Helms of the Charlotte Chapter was elected as our first National President in May 1975 during the first annual convention in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Since then, PCEA has grown to almost 1,000 members with twelve chapters in five states. Current goals include active expansion to other market areas.
PCEA members have always been active in the promotion of construction education for the betterment of the industry. Each chapter individually coordinates, develops and establishes programs to assist and enhance the educational endeavors in their community while pursuing the educational goals of membership. PCEA chapters support educational programs ranging from, but not limited to, scholarships to local students, endowed scholarships at several universities, providing construction instructors, purchasing equipment for use in technical training and introducing construction as a trade to "at risk" students.
In 1988, PCEA established the National PCEA Ted G. Wilson Memorial Scholarship Foundation, Inc. named in honor of our first Executive Director who passed away in 1987. The Foundation is funded through donations from the chapters, companies, individual members and through the Order of Isosceles Fellowships. This Foundation awards annual college scholarships in each of the states served by PCEA.